Are you a student who wants to study in Ukraine? if you do, then this article is for you as we’d be discussing a whole lot about study abroad in Ukraine in this comprehensive article at Start Skool.
Ukraine is a very large country and is known to be the largest of all the countries in Eastern Europe when you completely exclude Russia who is a bigger country of the two countries.
Though the official language of Ukraine is Ukrainian, about 29.5% of the Ukrainian population speak Russian or other minority languages like Hungarian or Romanian as their native tongue making the language policies in the education system of the country kind of paradoxical.
Why Study in Ukraine?
You may wonder why some international students would want to study in Ukraine today. Wonder no more for we’d be treating that here and right now below in this elaborate article just for you.
1. Climate is an important thing to consider as an international student travelling to Ukraine to study and Ukraine gives you a stable and pleasant climate throughout the year which is very good.
2. MBBS in Ukraine is without doubt a very famous course as it has a great market value. Ukraine is a very good choice of country to study in for medically inclined international students.
3. It is pertinent to note that the admission process in Ukraine is exceedingly simple. Because, no TOFEL, IELTS, or any other entrance examination is required from students for admission.
4. In Ukraine, courses which the universities offer are recognized by UNESCO, WHO, and European council etc. Simply put, your diploma when you’re done with your studies in Ukraine will be well recognized worldwide, and it will have immense value in the world market.
5. For students who want to study in Ukraine, you do not need to bother about any kind of scary entrance examination. Like we said before, the admission process is direct and easy.
6. One advantage the size of the country brings for international students is that you’d be getting all the attention you need from your teachers as there are few number of students in each classroom.
7. International students studying abroad in Ukraine can enjoy European life standards at low cost as Ukraine generally has low cost of living when compared to other countries in Europe.
Reports has it that apart from tuition fees, a student needs about $150 to $250 per month to survive which also solely depends on the student’s lifestyle. An expensive lifestyle means more $$$.
8. An international student after completing his/her study program in any Ukrainian university, can get a chance of permanent residence and can decide to settle in Europe.
9. Unlike in some countries today; studying abroad in Ukraine will help students link theoretical knowledge to practical knowledge seamlessly due to the teaching methodology in the country.
10. Another good thing about studying in Ukraine is that Ukrainian universities provides students all the facilities they need like libraries, sports centers, hostel facilities, Gymnasium and many others.
Study Abroad in Ukraine
In Ukraine, education is either private or state funded. Students who study at state expense receive a standard scholarship if their average marks at the end-of-term exams and differentiated test is at least 4; it is to note that this rule may be totally different in some universities.
Also in the case of all grades being the highest (5),the scholarship is increased by 25% . For most students, the level of government subsidy is not enough to cover their basic living expenses. nearly all universities in Ukraine provide subsidized housing for out-of-city students which is good. Isn’t it?
As an international student that want to get his/her degree in Ukraine, you’d definitely want to know to get started with your application to study in Ukraine including the documents required. We have listed the important documents that would be required from you to get on with your application.
How Do I Apply to Study Abroad in Ukraine?
Now you want to study in Ukraine, In order to receive International student’s invitation letter to kickstart, you will have to provide the following information and the following personal documents.
- Student’s Name,
- Student’s Surname,
- Citizenship Information,
- Date & place of birth,
- Student’s Sex,
- Passport number,
- Passport validity (date of issue & expiry),
- Permanent address,
- Phone number, e-mail address,
- A copy of the passport (pages with the photograph, date of birth and passport validity (date of issue & expiry) and,
- Your Certificate of Completed School Education.
Applications are accepted around the year time and It takes roughly 2 – 4 days to process the documents with the Ministry of Higher Education and Science of Ukraine.
Now let’s talk about education in Ukraine for international students.
Education in Ukraine for International Students
Ukraine is a very sought-after destination for higher education among African and Asian students. There are more than 70,000 students from 130 countries of the world studying in Ukraine right now.
Many non-government companies in the country try to help students from all over the world apply to any of the universities in Ukraine. An example of these non-governmental company or Agency is the Ukrainian Educational Agency. Such Agency help reduce workload for international students. It is to note that Ukraine’s academic calendar usually runs from September to July yearly.
In Ukraine, the academic year at universities consists of 2 semesters:
- 1st semester starting from September 1st till January 20th and,
- 2nd semester which starts from February 5th till July 1st.
For Holidays in Ukraine:
- Winter holidays last for two weeks (from January 21st till February 4th).
- Summer holidays last for two months (July, August) yearly.
Best Courses to Study in Ukraine
These are the best courses for students in Ukraine and are listed in no particular order.
- Civil Aviation,
- MBA & Management,
- Business & Economics,
- Engineering & Technology,
- Computer Science.
You can also check the courses and faculties in Ukraine
List of Universities in Ukraine for International Students
As a student who want to study abroad in Ukraine, these are some of the universities in the country that you can look at. This list of universities are in no particular order or ranking.
- National Aviation University
- National Taras Shevchenko University of Kiev
- National Agrarian University
- Kyiv State Academy of sea and river transport
- State University of Communication
- National Technical University “Kyiv Polytechnical Institute”
- Kyiv State I.K.Karpenko-Kary Institute of Theatrical Art
- Kyiv National Academy of Constructions and Architecture
- National O.O. Bohomolets Medical University
- Dragomanov National Pedagogical University
- Kyiv State University of Technology and Design
- National P.I.Tchaikovsky Musical Academy
- National University of Physical Training and Sport
- National Transport University
- National University of Food Technologies
- National Academy of Fine Arts and Architecture
- Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
- National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
- State Economic – technological Transport University
- State Academy Of Statistics, Accounting And Audit (Sasaa)
You can also refer to this article for more Ukraine university listing.
Ukraine Universities Rankings
Here in this rankings of universities in Ukraine, we’d not be listing all the universities and ranking them from their order of performance and quality of education. We’d be telling you of the best rated universities in Ukraine and how Ukrainian universities are performing generally in the world map.
In the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Ukrainian universities ranked at position 1001+1 and among the universities featuring in their list are: V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, and the Polytechnic National University.
Also in 2019, QS World University Rankings features six Ukrainian universities with V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University ranking highest of all the universities in Ukraine and taking the 491st place in the well respected and very prestigious list of the best universities in the world.
Top 5 Cities to Study in Ukraine
These cities listed ticks good for every condition favorable for international students.
Study in Ukraine in English
Studying Abroad in Ukraine in English has been introduced in the educational system of the country and has been successfully practiced for many years in Ukraine with European system of education. When an international student chooses to study in English, the student does not need to take preliminary courses which last 10 months to learn Russian or Ukrainian before enrollment to the first year. In this case, the student comes to Ukraine and kickstart studies by a chosen specialty at once.
PLEASE NOTE: To be enrolled to any Ukrainian university by specialty taught in English, a student is to arrive in Ukraine before November 15th of the current year and undergo an interview at the university upon arrival to determine the student’s English language proficiency.
For an international student to be admitted for English medium of studies, it is necessary to pass an English language interview which is solely for the purpose of testing your knowledge on the widely used language on arrival to the University (This is for advanced level). There is a 1-year time saving (students don’t need to spend 1 year time to learn Ukrainian/Russian language) which is very good.
Study in Ukraine Cost
When you want to study abroad in Ukraine, it is important to know the expenses you may face while studying in the country. The National currency of Ukraine is Hryvnia (UHR). 1 USD = 27.79 Ukrainian hryvnia. Foreign currencies can be changed in kiosks, banks and in the international airport.
In the airport, the currency rate is usually the same as in other places. Payment for services and purchasing are done in Hryvnias but some companies may take payments in US dollars.
In Ukraine, the transport fare for the distance of 500 km is about US$12 – $15. For a distance of 500 km, the flight cost is about US$50. The fare is US$0.15 for Local transport includes taxis, trams, buses and trolleybuses. For taxis, the fare is $US1 + US$0.20 per 1 km. Is it expensive or not ?
For electricity in Ukraine, the standard electrical voltage is 220 volts.
Some outlets in Ukraine operate on 127 volts, but these are super rare. You may need a converter as well as an Eastern European plug adapter if you are bringing electrical appliances with you.
Different food can be bought in supermarkets, agricultural markets and shops in Ukraine. Restaurants, fast food restaurants and Cafeterias propose different cuisine to customers.
Ukraine not only boasts of their big size alone, they also boast of their big agriculture and various cooking traditions. Food is one thing you won’t want to joke with right? lol.. We all love a good dish.
You have to prepare your own food or visit any restaurant and pay for as much as you can eat.
Majority of the universities in Ukraine provide access to Internet for their students. There are also a lot of available Internet-cafes should you need them. You can also use services of fast mail, represented by DHL, UPS, TNT, Federal Express and other companies of your choice.
- Medical Services
For medical services for international students studying in Ukraine, most of the state Universities provide free medical service in students hospitals which is very good to save cost for students. Students can go to state and private hospitals, where medical services are to be paid.
You can always read more of our helpful articles and share it to help other students.
Start Skool wishes you success and the best of luck as you study abroad in Ukraine.Share and Help us Reach out to Other Students